A taste of the tropics, coconut water is flavour du jour at the moment and it’s easy to see why. Delicious and subtly coconutty, with a host of health benefits, people are choosing it as their go-to hydrator this summer
Here are some of the reasons why coconut water is super-cool:
- Nutrients: It’s a great source of fibre, potassium, vitamin C, magnesium, manganese and calcium.
- Diabetes: In recent studies, research has shown that coconut water can lower blood sugar levels and improve other health markers in diabetic animals. In one study, diabetic rats treated with it maintained a better blood sugar level than other diabetic rats.
- Kidney Stones: It’s important to drink enough fluids to stop kidney stones from forming when calcium, oxalate and other compounds combine to form crystals, which in turn form stones. In a study, coconut water was found to reduce the number of crystals from sticking to the kidneys and other parts of the urinary tract.
- Heart Health: In a study, rats that consumed coconut water had reductions in blood cholesterol and triglycerides, as well as significant decreases in liver fat.
- Beneficial after exercise: With all of the nutrients it contains, it’s great to drink after exercise because it replaces all the electrolytes and water your body’s worked out.